Yes, particularly for artificial systems, the separation/linearity can be
relatively clear.  I suppose it boils down to whether or not a mechanic is
capable of appropriate intervention with a non-mechanical[*] system?

But, ultimately, I gel with your gist.  Even if a mechanic fails to _know_ for
certain why an intervention should or should not lead to a planned outcome, we
can at least hope for one who _tries_ to circumscribe the space of possible
outcomes and estimate the uncertainty involved (even if based largely on
heuristics built up through deep and long experience).  That's especially true
when the only viable competing interventionist exhibits complete ignorance of
the current system.

[*] This mailing list should be populated by people who understand the
constellation of issues surrounding the concept of a mechanism.

--
␦glen?