I am (or thought I was) familiar with the idea.  But it should be clear that
the wikipedia entry is GUILTY of the exact problem I'm trying to point out.
So, it's not only not helpful, but perpetuates the problem.  Witness:

"Object constancy, similar to Jean Piaget's object permanence, describes the
phase when the child understands that the mother has a separate identity and is
truly a separate individual."

In other words, object constancy is precisely the false conclusion.  Perhaps
there's other literature that talks specifically about how the *fiction* of
object constancy affects/retards future development?  If you know of that
literature, perhaps you could point to it?  Or, better yet, explain it in your
own words ... which I enjoy more and find much more useful. 8^)

--
☣ gⅼеɳ