Just a preamble: I remember moving to Santa Fe and hating Cerrillos Rd with all
it's little businesses, the trashy look, sections of ill- and un-used
properties, peppered with upscale stuff in some spots. I'd moved there from
Dallas, TX, where they'd rather tear down an old building than repurpose it. I
recognized the "planned" look of Dallas because I grew up in Houston, where
zoning laws are relatively loose.

But Cerrillos is what taught me the meaning of "organic". So, as an (also
vague) attempt to answer the question, the only way one can "design" an
ecosystem is by first studying the already extant ecosystem and nudging it in
multifarious ways. The primary problem with organically grown systems is the
lack of executive function ... a high-order feedback (like a cerebral cortex)
... to establish and maintain constraints like water limits, geographical
sprawl, pollution, etc. So, the FIRST part of the plan would be to
constructively aggregate the extant businesses into some sort of scaffolded
hierarchy starting with tiny businesses (businesses run by people with ZERO
spare time, of course), up through boutique businesses (coffee shops,
breweries, fashion, etc.), up through larger scale businesses, etc. ... all the
way up to behemoths like LANL or the State of NM.

The second part of the plan would be to adopt some trial (non-local)
constraints like water limitations and experiment with feeding that back down
the hierarchy (layer by layer *or* cross-trophically, jumping over layers) and
then following the effects back up the hierarchy. As trials, there must be
challenge tests, ways to decide whether to abandon or iteratively modify the
constraints and their up- and down-ward signaling. So, this second part of the
plan might *start* by formalizing those tests (in an "agile" style).

Any interference/manipulation by a behemoth like Amazon or CMU would require
them to *facilitate* the hierarchy, as opposed to *disrupting* it. (As I think
someone in this thread has already mentioned, but I don't have the bandwidth to
farm the posts for who said/implied it.) Following co-evolution and
multi-objective optimization, the constraints have to be at least partially
*endogenous*. The executive has to be pretty tightly coupled to the rest of the
system. Any attempts at decoupled, directed evolution of the ecosystem will be
fragile to disrupting enterprises. But if the disruptions are small/local, then
the network of feedbacks can adjust, limiting any species collapse in response
to that disruption.

That's how I would "define the function" of the behemoth.

--
☣ uǝlƃ