One example of the fine-grained downward feedbacks that can be installed is
mixed-income residential requirements. Many people where we used to live
complained that the people on the "other end of the street" didn't "show pride
of ownership". To translate from Modern Suburban, they didn't have
well-manicured grass lawns, the paint on their house is peeling, or they have
too many cars ... whatever made that property look bad to them, basically.

But what I saw was different socio-economic strata. I *enjoyed* living near
that 90 year old who decorated his yard with old broken tile (I could stare at
his designs for hours [†]) and the 20 year old high school dropout who's trying
to make a living playing in a death metal band while he works 2 jobs as barista
and bartender. My other neighbors did not *enjoy* living next to those people.
It's not clear to me _why_.

I don't think it's a matter of getting out of the house after your day job ...
because I almost never do anything after I quit for the day, either. There's
something else going on ... something aesthetic. My persnickety neighbors have
some need for regularity that the rest of us don't have ... like they want
their "jigsaw" puzzles to have all square pieces or something.

[†] He died about a year ago and the property's now occupied by people who "fit
in" much better. [sigh] All the tile is gone. There's a new shed, new driveway
occupied by a Prius and a Toyota pickup, ... Ugh. Homogeneity reigns.

--
☣ uǝlƃ