> Ach!
>

> I glad we are talking about this.  It is the kind of issue that we, in
> particular, ought to think up and speak out about.  My own impulse
> would be to entertain the possibility of a LANL-SF, but negotiate some
> sort of arrangement, say, perhaps, that no classified work could be
> done in here.

Nick -

Guerin brought up the idea of trying to engage (some from?) this group,
or the larger Complexity Community with the folks that a *small* group
of us met in Stockholm last month under the thoughtful shepherding of
Merle and Lars (Larsson).

He specifically mentioned the idea of Bohm Dialogue, after the
example/prescription of the late David Bohm who introduced the idea of a
particular style of Dialogue which is neither Debate nor Discussion in
the normal colloquial sense.

There is a group with a website:  BohmDialogue.org which tries to
represent his ideas and this style.   I encountered his ideas first in
his book "Wholeness and the Implicate Order" as "the Rheomode" which
roughly describes his conception of a language which is "verb centric"
which subsumes the Subject and Object in importance to the Action.   The
website above is not well developed but seems to represent the idea and
promote it's broad application.

Bohm's lecture in 1992 to a "Transpersonal Conference" captures a lot of
important ideas in the relevance and role of "Science" in the larger
project of "Being Human".  Much of Bohm's perspective in this area seems
to derive from his long association with philospher/spiritual-leader
Jiddu Krishnamurti.  Many of Krishnamurti's fans (and by extension
Bohm's) are perhaps a bit "woo" for this crowd and I understand/share
that.  On the other hand, the very discussion at hand suggests that
there is a crisis in the some of our seperations between Science and
Morality, etc.

I mentioned, after Guerin's post, your own pursuit of a more
creative/building/collaborative mode of (online) conversation than the
existing modes at the time when you tried to implement "noodling" on top
of the Wikimedia platform we had at SFx at the time.

Much of our current (all?) discussion on this list takes the form of
debate... each one of us trying to convince the others of something in
particular.   It gets better (for me) when the discussion takes more of
the texture of a Discussion, even though THAT is often really the
superposition of a suite of Rants and Raves.   I'm not sure I *know*
what a true Dialogue (Bohm Style) would really be like, though I do
think I've experienced it often within the realm of
Science/Technology.   The way Merle and Lars' team in Stockholm
shepherded us in December in Stockholm began to approach that.

I understand that our own Benny Lichnter (active in SFx, now living in
Berkeley/Oakland) may be working with/using this style of commun(icat)ion.

-  Steve

PS.  Specific in response to your question about institutions and
blunt-force-trauma methods for controlling/managing/mitigating them...
I do find that large institutions are risky propositions, and not just
at the scale Elizabeth Warren is going after or Big Gov or Big Academe
or ...  but I'm equally suspicious of "simple solutions" to such...
this kind of problem (in scale, quality, importance) might require
"Dialog" to begin to work into/through.