On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 10:29 AM Ralf Hemmecke <r...@hemmecke.org> wrote:

> On 21.03.21 15:00, Bill Page wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 8:25 AM Ralf Hemmecke <r...@hemmecke.org>
> > wrote:
> >> ... The only thing (in my eyes) that HyperDoc can do and
> >> http://fricas.github.io/api does not provide, is showing
> >> "which domain/package/category implements a certain
> >> function".
> >
> > Yes, exactly. HyperDoc allows "easy" navigation in the rather
> > complex lattice of categories, domains and functions of the
> > FriCAS library.
>
> May I ask what you mean by this. Suppose you have
> http://fricas.github.io/api locally on your computer.
> What would you miss?

Admittedly, my resistance is largely due to a lack of familiarity. By
default HyperDoc starts automatically when you start FriCAS so it
seems like part of FriCAS.  http://fricas.github.io/api on the other
hand is an external program.  Maybe an option like

  $ fricas -api

that automatically disabled HyperDoc and started a local copy of the
api would help.

Typically I would start with searching for a function or a domain. The
online search at http://fricas.github.io/api seems OK although I
probably not have used it enough yet to know if there are any
limitations. How is search provided if I have it locally on my
computer?

> And I would like to clarify. When I wrote about "which
> domain/package/category implementa certain function",
> I did not mean which domain *exports* this function, but
> rather what is the domain, that has the source code for
> the respective functionality. You know with inheritance
> from domains and category defaults, that can sometimes
> be hard to find out if you browse through the source files.
> I am not sure that you above mean the same.

Thank you for the clarification. Yes that is important.

> > The user interface level of HyperDoc could be entirely replaced
> > by a conventional browser but the navigation of the internal
> > FriCAS dynamic type database still requires some sort of
> > backend.
>
> Well, in fact, fricas.github.io/api tries to do exactly that, only
> that it is static. That is however not a very big problem. One
> can compile the API stuff of private .spad files in the same way
> and the hyperlinks would correctly point into the FriCAS API
> if they are not part of the new package/domain/categories.
>
> So what exactly would you miss?

I will attempt to build the api locally and let you know what I find.

Thanks.