> How easy would it be to try KaTeX? https://katex.org/ Maybe someone
> has already tried this?

I cannot say. That is the first time I look at Katex. If it really
renders faster that would be wonderful. But I wait until somebody throws
a working .ipynb -> .html conversion at me that replaces mathjax with
katex in the .html flle so that I would see how to actually use it.
> It seems to me that Kurt has already experimented with several options
> and that his opinion was that we should just pick one of these and run
> with it.

Yes, but I am not sure whether his stuff was already ripe for production.

Ralf