> Perhaps no idea is grand enough to
> withstand the withering, relentless assault of  The New American Dream of
> universal free-fall economic devolution aka deregulated free
> or at least all-consuming markets.
Not so sure of this.  I believe there is a growing skepticism about deregulation - witness the number of air carriers under bankruptcy protection and the Enron/Worldcom etc. messes.  Several countries, major economic players like China and Russia, are not buying into the "New American Dream", which isn't so new and has indeed been around long enough to develop a lot of tarnish.  And one has to wonder whether the "Dream" really is about free, open, deregulated markets.  What the Americans seem to be pushing is markets amenable to their control, and not something that arises out of some form of multinational consensual process.

Ed

http://www.ellopos.net/politics/eu_schmid.html>
> \brad mccormick
>
> --
>   Let your light so shine before men,
>               that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)
>
>   Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)
>
> <![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. /
[EMAIL PROTECTED]