From: Ray Evans Harrell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 12:42 AM
To: Robert E. Bowd; Cordell, Arthur: ECOM; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Futurework] Please listen to me! ( was: Another injustice
inthe job stakes

Good points Bob,

I would make a couple of points.   I can point the negatives, from my
background,  out to the list so they can get off the chauvinistic garbage
but I can also point to my aunts and uncles who all graduated from college,
had careers as well as attaining advanced degrees in psychometrics in their
fifties.    I have a rather close connection to educational testing since my
father's PHD was in it.   I also know the use and abuse of such by the kinds
of civilians who make judgments that the professionals avoid as if it were
plague.

Secondly, there are eight million Jews in America with five being in the New
York City area where there is a lot of very high profile support for Jewish
kids.     Jews are now a minority in Manhattan for the first time since I've
been here since they are moving to the suburbs and becoming more bourgeois
in their tastes and attitudes.    I consider the difference between
conservative thought and liberal that the conservative is mediocre in their
thought processes.   If the Jews are joining that and they seem to be, then
they are taking a step down.    It is quite a difference for a rapper to
become a conservative from a terrible education than for a well educated
soul to do so.    The Upper West Side of Manhattan is still the closest
thing to heaven in America when it comes to art, education, humanity and
compassion.   The Jewish community is the bulwark of all four of those.
So is the emerging Black community.   And they couldn't be conservative.
Diversity and civilization is why they are here in the first place.

But elsewhere you have twenty million African Americans and they are spread
across the nation as a minority wherever they are.    They have done
amazingly in one generation coming from nowhere in the population at large.
Consider that one generation ago there were no blacks in the major Arts
organizations.   I remember the first black member of the New York
Philharmonic and the Metropolitan opera.    I also remember when there were
no oriental members as well.    The close oriental family most resembles the
Hispanic community here where whole families work together.    On the other
hand, until a generation ago, the only work for blacks was female and
servants.

A good point can be made about the Haitians who are black but separate.
The Dominicans are also different and have another path as well but let's
just look at the Haitians who not so long ago were the fastest advancing
group in America for affluence.    They have a five member coop that they
form called "the Hand".    They each contribute a certain amount each month
which a member consolidates and uses to capitalize his business.   There is
an agreement that they will repay on time which they do and the fund grows
large very quickly.     This group is clannish in the same way that
successful groups like the Jews are.   Each guard their rolodex like a wolf.
If you don't have access to those networks and you have to work within them
you will fail because the network is cultural and represents status.    The
games that Keith and others talk about glibly are played in life and death
struggles in these communities.  They are not unlike the games of the
super-wealthy who have "Strategic Giving" which basically means that you
trick others into paying your share and that is their "winning" the game.
"Strategic Giving" is taught at Harvard and is limited in enrollment to
millionaires.   That is the game being played today by the Bush
administration with taxes.   Its smoke and mirrors.    I was talking to one
of the players the other day and she couldn't stand the Haitians.
Interesting.

I find games to be very unartistic and parasitic myself.    I like the
cooperative nature of groups but the only answer to that and what Arthur was
implying is that each group sends representatives to govern the whole.
That does not bode well for unity in the nation as a whole and probably
means the end of Democracy in the same tired way that all Democracies have
ended in the past.   What a bore to be so banal and unimaginative.

Anyway, there are more Blacks in prison but more crime is committed against
Native Americans by non-natives than any other group.   No white race person
in abused in the same way.   But if you broke the whites down into their own
cultures they might be comparable.    Only the Blacks are monolithic since
they have had their past erased or sublimated through extreme abuse.   There
is a tremendous potential amongst the Blacks that is slowly being realized
because they are all basically fundamentalist Christian of a different
culture from the celtic oriented white groups.  No time for me to talk about
that.    Right now the Italians are doing very well in the movies as the
Blacks are doing in music and sports.   The Jews are still in the background
funding things or changing their names to "get on the stage."    I find it
very healthy that we can each define certain conventions and successes in
each group.   But it is unhealthy to define the conventional as the ideal or
the potential.   Unhealthy for them and unhealthy for the future of the
nation.

Ray Evans Harrell