On Sep 7, 5:21 pm, Ralph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

(snip)

>  I have seen a system kill a flash drive in just an hour or two.  That
> was a test where I used an IDE to CF card adapter.  I used a general
> consumer grade CF card and put a swap file on the CF card.  Note that
> putting a swap file on a flash drive is a bad thing to do and this was a
> test to see if if would really fail, as I had read it would.
>  I have seen lots of reports of the solid state drives failing in the
> field after 6 months or so of use.  I think the problem is people
> treating their SSD like a hard drive, but I have not seen good data on
> this.  I had one I ran for a couple of years with no problem.  I was
> careful with the setup on that system to be sure writes were minimized.

This is very interesting.  One of the problems is that OS X uses a lot
of "virtual memory", i.e. it writes a lot to the boot drive,  less so
if the machine has a lot of RAM, but it is still an important and
unavoidable part of the operating system.    If you don't have a lot
of space on your boot disk your system might get very slow.  If write
speeds are slow, same problem.   And wear and tear on a solid state
boot drive would be pretty high on an X boot drive, as opposed to just
a storage drive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these are things to consider when
cobbling together a solid state boot drive with X.

Rich

Rich