As long as Apple remains a company committed to forcing users to buy
their computer hardware to run their computer software, they will
always be a second rate company committed solely to the profit motive
and greed.  But, as the future of computing is multi-platform  - any
desktop or laptop OS operating on any desktop or laptop chip set and
any combination of desktop or laptop hardware devices, I'm certain
that Apple and Microsoft have options in the works that might
surprise many of us that are not "industry insiders."  Open source
Linux versions have been pushing the envelope and setting an example
for both Apple and MS to follow in terms of multi-platform desktop
and laptop computing  -   although many LInux versions have
much to be desired in terms of reaching the total user friendliness
and ease of use at which the the larger, established companies have
arrived.
As long as you have to use a command line interface for anything -
such as getting a printer installed or achieving Internet access -
Linux will remain 2nd rate.  I know . . .  there are lots of techies
who love command line - well, I tired of it long ago with MS DOS and
rarely use Apple Script or Terminal because I have other things to do
that are much more interesting and rewarding.

J.