On Dec 5, 2008, at 7:30 PM, Yersinia wrote:

snip

> But, alas, I actually do have to try it.  :-( Another
> nuke-and-pave/reinstall of OS 9 didn't work. I don't know how or why a
> PRAM zap should make my G4 boot OS 9

Because the PRAM-ZAP kills all saved reference to where the hardware
system is to look for a 'bootable' system.
The poor clueless system is then forced to use it's 'built in'
default 'boot from' information.  That set of 'default instructions
says to find an OS9 system [it will even use a bootable OS9 on an
external HD, if that is the first one it finds.]. IF there isn't a
OS9 available, I'm fairly certain that it then looks for a OSX system.

Chuck D.