On Jan 2, 2009, at 4:19 PM, Dan wrote:

> At 11:44 AM -0800 1/2/2009, Kyle Hansen wrote:
>>
>> A few things that a lot of these other wise posters are failing to
>> mention
>> is the fact that IBM and Motorola have been letting Apple down
>> with promises
>> of "this speed at this time" for years.
>
> Did they really?  Truth be told, I'm beginning to wonder - the line
> between Apple PR and stark reality.  Apple was a drop in their
> market.  Did they really commit to those faster chips?  Remember,
> they were at those higher speeds BEFORE Apple shipped the first x86
> Mac....

Unless it was all Steve's bravado, then, yes, they did commit to
faster chips. Remember the G5 introduction with the promise of 3GHz
within a year? And they never got there 2 years after the promised
delivery date. They were promised to be here in June 2004 (1 year
after the intro of the G5 in 2003) and they still weren't here by the
time the G5 was discontinued in August 2006.

>> And I disagree with a previous poster who said that "IBM will
>> catch up and
>> blow Intel away."  Intel has a roadmap that no processor developer
>> is going
>> to be able to catch as far as speed goes.
>
> That's true - in the low-end to mid-range market.

And that is the market for personal computers.

Len