> > The Over Clockers are the modern equivalent of the old Shade Tree
> > Mechanics squeezing the last possible Horsepower/Torque out of a Flat
> > Head Ford engine; as they work within their version of the Triple
> > Constraint.
> >
> > If it works for them, Hurrah,
> >
> > ErnieG
> >

> Heh...  You mean the engine that despite having two waterpumps still
> tended to overheat?

I'm always amazed at the mechanical/electrical comparisons. So here are some
random thoughts. Bear with me it gets bak on topic.

If you bore out  an old Ford Flathead cylinders enough to make it a larger
engine the cast iron cylinder walls can get too thin to conduct the necessary
heat from the internal gas combustion to the water based coolant and the engine
will fail.

Realizing this in my high school days in the 60's; I went to small block 1955
Chevy engine and bored it out to a reasonable size (265 to 283 CI) for my 1934
Ford Coupe hot rod and got more horsepower than the old flathead I orginaly
wanted to use. Wish I had that "rod" today -- it would be worth a lot!

Back on topic, the same heat transfer principle applies to computer processors.
Air is not a good medium for heat transfer. Water is better and metal to metal
is the better yet. So, the smoother the contact between the heat sink and the
processor (no air) the better the heat transfer. Heat sinks are radiant; cool
by air. A water cooling system will transfer heat more efficiently.

Lapping is a good way to get better a seat between metal objects. Be it a
computer heat sink/processor, auto cylinder/piston  or musical instrument
valves.

Thermal paste/grease or whatever you call it is just an attempt to eliminate
the imperfections in the heat sink/processor contact that allow air to impede
the heat transfer.

as  Clarke said

> For conductive heat transfer as in this case you ideally want perfectly
> flat surfaces.  They wouldn't need any heat transfer compound between
> them as there would be no gap.  But ideal and perfect are on back order
> so you fill the thin gap with heat transfer compound which displaces the
> air.  Heat transfer compounds have relatively poor thermal conductivity
>   compared to the metals they are used with.  But they have much better
> thermal conductivity than air which they replace in the gap.  This is
> why you want just a very thin layer.

I'm not, nor ever have been a practicing engineer but do have a BS in
engineering and my undergraduate program was very strong on both mechanical and
electrical disciplines. I really liked thermodynamics. OK, I'm sure some  MSE.s
and PHD's will find some fault in this post and will humbly accept any
appropriate corrections --glen