On Mar 14, 2009, at 8:25 AM, PeterH wrote:

> For the LGA 775 products from Intel, which present a very large
> surface area to the cooler, the most popular method of "extreme
> cooling" is "lapping" the processor and the cooler to flatness,
> followed by application of the best available heat transfer compound.

This process of Lapping is used on musical instruments as well to fit
a trumpet or other piston/valve into its own personal cylinder ...
uses the surfaces that will be touching in the end, or living
together, and a lapping compound (sometimes even toothpaste...), to
bring the 2 surfaces shapes closer together ... then uses a valve oil
to seal and lubricate the result.

These valves require air tight fit (seal) and a friction free
movement (lubricated) for rapid repositioning during making music.

Just some comments on Lapping two surfaces ... which I have only seen
done ...

I think I'm going to leave my QS Dual 1GHz alone, unless it starts
having kps I cannot explain otherwise ... was considering "preventive
maintenance" idea of replacing the thermal connection being discussed
herein ...

Bill Connelly
artsite: http://mysite.verizon.net/moonstoneartstudio
myspace: http://www.myspace.com/moonstoneartstudio