On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 4:15 AM, Kyle Hansen <pi...@speakeasy.net> wrote:

>  On 6/10/09 12:55 AM, "Wallace Adrian D'Alessio" <fluxstrin...@gmail.com>
> Broadcast into the ether:
>

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 1:28 AM, Kyle Hansen <pi...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>

> All the stuff they are doing now will be the same.  There will be some
> transitioning just like from OS9 to OSX.  Everyone calm down.  I have inside
> info on this but I have also signed an NDA so I can not share.
>
> =================================
>
> That is not the problem. 604s still do the stuff they did in the old days
> too.
>
> They problem is for those who bought G5s for workstations  right before
> their obsolescence, who thought they could at least pay those off and make a
> profit before the competition ran over them.
>
> Home users and non business types are losers to the degree that they need
> to run new software.
>
> And for true low end mac types like myself it means the sooner I get hands
> on cool hardware that is still generations behind the curve.
>

> First off, if you bought a G5 right before it’s obsolescence that’s your
> fault.   Any person that is remotely interested in Mac’s knows the signs and
> knows when they are rolling a new product out.  When ipod shuffles are free
> after a mail in rebate guess what?  They are clearing their supply chain and
> there are about to be new shuffles on the market.  So if you hold out for
> the best deal, and wait for the sale you will get screwed every time.  Thy
> announce at Macworld (or used to) now at WWDC.  So Don’t buy anything around
> those times.  And the software that runs on the G5’s is still competitive
> with the new stuff.  Final cut Pro is Final Cut Pro.  Just takes longer to
> crunch on an older machine.  And the G5’s are 3 years old.  That is ARCHAIC
> in modern computing.  Moore’s law.  Every 18 months.  You already know all
> this stuff Wallace.

Luckily I can use Mac Pros and other Macs at the University. So this does
not really effect me that much.

But I question alienating users during hard times as a wise business
strategy. The Mac Intel newbies won't notice when the loyalists abandon
ship. Their heads will be buried in Windows and they will have the most
expensive PCs with Apple badges.