On Oct 11, 2009, at 12:04 AM, Richard Gerome wrote:

> I don't know what the problem could be, but I have a question about
> this??? Why would you upgrade to Leopard if Tiger was running so
> great??? I can't find anything that makes Leopard any better then
> Tiger??? So many Mac users have told me to keep my G4 Titanium
> Powerbook running Tiger, don't waist the money on Leopard...

I also agree with you. I've twice been requested to downgrade a
friend's system that was upgraded to Leopard because of how much
slower Leopard performs on PPC Macs. According to xBench & GeekBench
archives, Leopard's about 20-25% slower than Tiger for PPC Macs, while
counterintuitively running about 15-20% faster for Intel Macs. The
Macs I downgraded were G4 laptops in the 1.5-1.67 GHz range, not older
slower PPC Macs.

The possible reasons to upgrade to Leopard include: Time Machine,
Spaces, and some newer software that isn't Tiger compatible. Are there
other reasons? I don't think this is enough reason to upgrade myself,
so I've left my G4 Mini with Tiger. I upgraded my G5 PowerMac to
Leopard, and I'm too lazy to downgrade, so it's stuck, but luckily the
G5 has enough horsepower for the slowdown to be not too bothersome
until just recently. When I migrate onto an Intel machine I'll likely
downgrade the G5 also. In my opinion, Tiger is the "best" OS for PPC
Macs, and is with certainty the "fastest". Intel Macs likely need Snow
Leopard now, but I have no experience with Snow Leopard, so I'm not
certain.