On 10/11/09 1:52 AM, Kris Tilford of ktilfo...@cox.net sent

> On Oct 11, 2009, at 12:04 AM, Richard Gerome wrote:
>
>> I don't know what the problem could be, but I have a question about
>> this??? Why would you upgrade to Leopard if Tiger was running so
>> great??? I can't find anything that makes Leopard any better then
>> Tiger??? So many Mac users have told me to keep my G4 Titanium
>> Powerbook running Tiger, don't waist the money on Leopard...
>
> I also agree with you. I've twice been requested to downgrade a
> friend's system that was upgraded to Leopard because of how much
> slower Leopard performs on PPC Macs. According to xBench & GeekBench
> archives, Leopard's about 20-25% slower than Tiger for PPC Macs, while
> counterintuitively running about 15-20% faster for Intel Macs. The
> Macs I downgraded were G4 laptops in the 1.5-1.67 GHz range, not older
> slower PPC Macs.
>
> The possible reasons to upgrade to Leopard include: Time Machine,
> Spaces, and some newer software that isn't Tiger compatible. Are there
> other reasons? I don't think this is enough reason to upgrade myself,
> so I've left my G4 Mini with Tiger. I upgraded my G5 PowerMac to
> Leopard, and I'm too lazy to downgrade, so it's stuck, but luckily the
> G5 has enough horsepower for the slowdown to be not too bothersome
> until just recently. When I migrate onto an Intel machine I'll likely
> downgrade the G5 also. In my opinion, Tiger is the "best" OS for PPC
> Macs, and is with certainty the "fastest". Intel Macs likely need Snow
> Leopard now, but I have no experience with Snow Leopard, so I'm not
> certain.

Hi Kris and all.
I would happily keep Tiger on this unit; however, my wife is very enamored
with the new Blackberry syncing software recently released for Mac
(obviously her Blackberry is involved).
This particular app requires Leopard (too bad).
The optical drive in question is indeed a combo drive - the install DVD
mounts fine under normal OS operation; trying to start up in Leopard has
proven, so far, quite fruitless, for what reason I know not.
I ran verbose mode - at the "moment of truth" there were countless folders
reported as unmounted from the host OS (I presume it means the DVD). I saw
the word "Airport" frequently, thought the Airport card involved is an Apple
OEM (1st gen. style).

Thanks for all input.
Best regards,
Dana