On 03-11-2009 21:14, Erik Hancock, ehanc...@concentric.net, wrote:

> I had to replace many parts on my Mac G4 - AGP recently  - and now the PCI
> support for USB 2.0 appears to be lacking.  Had a 4 hub PCI card and it was
> not being recognized by the system- thought PCI slots might be dead - but
> swapped in a combo USB and Firewire PCI card and it is recognizing the card
> and the firewire is active and appears to recognize the USB hub but nothing
> being plugged into the card is being powered or active.
>
> Not sure if there is a firmware or software driver that was missed when I
> was reinstalling hardware and software drivers.  Normal fixed USB ports
> (1.1)  work but are sooo slow.
>
> Any suggestions as to what to check or reset/reinstall??

Have you updated the firmware of your G4/AGP to 4.2.8 ?? Goto:
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120068> for information and
download.

In this article (from Sept. 10, 2003) Apple is not speaking about PCI-USB
2.0 cards.
But my experience is following: In my QS/800/'02 (running 9.2.2 and 10.4.11)
and my MDD/1,42DP (running 10.4.11 and 10.5.8) I have a cheap (Euro 8 = US$
11,66) 4 port PCI-USB 2.0 card and it was plug in and go.
The same card in my Sawtooth/400 (9.2.2, 10.3.9 and 10.4.11) and in my
DA/466 (9.2.2 and 10.4.11) refused to work untill the firmware update 4.2.8.

Would say: Give it a try! But don't forget: The FW Update will only work
when booted in 9.1 <-> 9.2.2 on a intern HD.

HTH,

Jo Hissel