I've used the lampshade iMac G4 a good amount at the office, and I like it.
 It fits neatly on a desk- small footprint, no clutter (except for the
external speakers).  I would get one, but most don't have usb 2 for faster
much difference between 10.4 or 10.5 for a few years, but for 10.5 you need
a G4 that runs at 867mhz or faster.  My tiBook G4/867 runs 10.5 okay, though
it triggers the fans fairly often.  I don't know if it was youtube or the
move to 10.5, but after installing 10.5, my tiBook had more hiccups when
viewing youtube videos.

However, for $500, you are in used intel Mini land, which would be my choice
for many more years of light use.  A G4 mini should work fine for you.