On Jun 15, 2010, at 1:40 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Jun 15, 2010, at 11:40 AM, James Therrault wrote:

On Jun 15, 2010, at 12:53 PM, Illirik Smirnov wrote:

Yeah, I second Dan. It's hardware. Try what he said, and then try cleaning out your USB ports. Gunk can sometimes get in them and cause cycling. Use a Q-Tip.
Illirik Smirnov

But both USB ports work fine for my all-in-one card readers and a two button mouse.

They may not pull as much current as the modem does.

When the modem "failed," it was connected to a powered hub. Hub is good as I also tested it with the card reader and mouse.

Now, if the modem is plugged in to either USB port, System Profiler sees it.

Also, I tried an old USB floppy drive and it works fine.

Have you tried loading this device as a different user on the computer?

Not sure what you mean by "different" user as I'm the only one that has used this machine since purchasing it and reloading system software then (about three years ago).

JT

(Even them thar' CVCC carbs ain't this difficult!)