At 2:05 PM -0500 1/30/2011, Deaner Lawless Jr. wrote:
 > Are there any crash or panic logs at all?

Glad you asked. That is where my experience falls short. Be glad to review/send it. I have looked at Console but need your help for what to look for.

 > Any errors being thrown into system.log shortly before or at the freeze?

Same as above Dan.

View the logs with Console.app - it's in /Applications/Utilities/. Tell it to show you the log list; there are quite a few! console.log contains stuff local to your user (application errors and such). The interesting system-wide / hardware stuff is in system.log. Everything is time stamped. Give it a peruse... it is read-only, so you can't damage anything.

Of particular interest are entries made a minute or two before and during the freeze.

> (long shot; doesn't really jive with it being stable under 9.2.2 or Panther).

Think maybe the video card extensions may be in conflict? Boot in OS 9 I was able to determine which extension play pretty with the ATI card. Only like 4 out of the 7 or 8. I am tempted to pull all ATI from extensions from the OS 10.4.11's System/Library/Extensions Folder and see how it runs like that.

Can't hurt to try!

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.