Some other things you might want to consider.

- Compare your firmware version to the latest (non-beta) one available
from USR. Upgrading the firmware can fix bugs and, on occasion,
improve your Wi-Fi performance. (Not by a huge amount, but they have
been known to tweak things).

- I'll leave it for others to comment on what Wi-Fi protocols work
with the Airport in the systems you have. I expect it is 802.11b (i.e.
older and slower) but I really just don't know. As for security
protocols, I'm not sure whether you will be "forced" to use WEP or can
use WPA or WPA2. The latter are preferable, but, as Bruce said,
something is a whole lot better than nothing, even a locked screen
door.

What is available to you in terms of WEP vs WPA vs WPA2 may depend on
what version of OS X you are using. But I really don't know how Apple
implements these things.

- When you do pick a password, keep it somewhere relatively secure but
where you can find it again. If you completely loose it, it is always
possible to reset the router back to the factory default settings and
then just set things up again. But this is a hassle worth avoiding if
you can.

-irrational john