On Apr 26, 2011, at 3:39 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Apr 26, 2011, at 12:23 PM, peterh...@cruzio.com wrote:

Just select the defaults of WPA2 and WPA (PSK), and TKIP & AES.

Choose a good passphrase mixing letters and numbers: "Hey it's sn0w1ng
Macintoshes outside!"

OTOH, use a passphrase which is a substring of an instance of a Gibson
Research Corporation pseudo-random number generator output.

A single call to GRC's p-RNG will give you enough characters for:

1) the SSID,

2) the WPA passphrase, and

3) the router password.

All adding vastly more complexity without increasing the security one little bit. In fact, nonsense like this usually REDUCES security, because it guarantees that the password gets written down somewhere.

IMO, this is security theatre, not security.

I have relatively easy (1 and a half steps up from "password" but not a whole lot more) as the setup on my router. FWIW, I have that info taped to the top of my router at home. If someone is already inside my house with evil intent (bwwaahhahaha), having my router's password taped to it is the least of my worries.

Len

And, no, it can not be seen from outside.