On Apr 26, 2011, at 2:50 PM, Yersinia wrote:

> owever, after I Googled to find out what all the security options in the
> tutorial actually meant ("enough" anyway: I cannot claim to REALLY understand
> wifi/wifi security tech: if I did, I wouldn't have this issue.  Anyway, I
> decided I didn't want those defaults. I want to use WEP open because it's
> best for my Trailing Edge equipment. I don't want to even try WPA2  because
> I'm scared sh*tless I'll end up locking myself out of my own network.  Hell,
> I locked myself out on my own porch in the dead of winter! :-{

WPA2 is NOT more complex than WEP; in fact it's easier, none of this "Is it a
Hex or WEP equivalent key, is it long enough, 64 or 128 bit??"

You just put in the password, and voil a! it works. (and forgetting your WEP
key will lock you out just as surely as forgetting your WPA key.) It truly is
as simple as it said: accept the defaults like the manual said, enter a
password. Then enter that password on your equipment.

Done.

If you want to use WEP, go right ahead, use it...truthfully it's Good Enough
Security.

Crooks are dumb, not smart like the TeeVee says.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona