On Sep 29, 2011, at 7:09 PM, Dan wrote:

> At 1:48 AM -0700 9/19/2011, QuoVadis wrote:
>> Airport card to fit inside my G4 QS (2002 model).
>>
>> The problem is the reception: [WAP far away on another floor and electronics
>> gear nearby]
>
> It's worth trying the airport card elsewhere, as you describe...
>
> But, fwiw, 802.11 is pretty much a "one wall" wi-fi solution.  That you're
> getting 300 Kbps on the QS, given you description of floors + all the gear
> interfering, is pretty good.
>
> Try shutting down the gear and turn off any flourescent lights.  See if that
> makes a diff.
>
> Perhaps a repeater might help... Set up another WAP positioned half way, to
> bridge the connection.
>
> Or you could replace the Airport base with a higher powered / office-grade
> WAP.

A cheaper and simpler solution would be to get a USB 802.11g or better still,
an 802.11n dongle.  The software is a pain in the rear but once you get it up
and running on a desktop machine it shouldn't matter.

g and n each improved the distance the signal carries.

> Or go wired.
>
> ...We have about the same situation here.  Tried bridging, but the housemates
> gave up on wi-fi anyway.  Even with a clear shot to the WAP, nothing beats a
> hardwire to a gigaswitch.

Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting