On Dec 30, 2012, at 1:46 PM, Bill Connelly wrote:

Can I simply CCC my OS X 10.5.8 G4 to my G5?

Yes.

Could I just insert the SATA drive, also formatted on a G4, into the G5, and select it as the Startup disk?

Yes.

It would be a good idea to hold the Shift key for a Safe Boot for the first boot, this will ditch the G4 startup caches and rebuild them for the G5 hardware. You can reboot normally after the Safe Boot and things should be fine.