Bill,
If you are having trouble, read on.

The only difference among 10.5.8 versions are most likely due to the differences in the hardware it's loaded on. It is running well on my G5 PowerMac tower. Until you are happy with it, don't remove the previous system if it's an update. Also, recommend keeping all the old users until you are sure their data is not needed.

If you are installing from a "retail" DVD, you will need a working DVD-R Dual Layer optical drive. If you are installing from a CD/DVD set specific to the model you have, then you should be OK. If your installation media targets a different (non-compatible) model, you may not be able to complete the installation.

NOTE: If you are installing with a "retail' type DVD, but using a non-dual layer optical drive, the installation may not complete (i.e.stop cold or hang when the 2nd layer access is attempted) or may not begin at all.

Finally, there are extra files on the DVD that are not installed with the O.S. If that's what you are looking
for, check the media with the finder.
Jon