Kris, thanks for the reminder about checking ram.

I used Rember to perform the check, switching the three sticks around each time to allow for system memory (123, 231, 312) but all passed.

I also tried starting with just one of each stick and still get shutdown when sleep requested.

I then tried AHT for G4s and that found no problems.

Sometimes a restart works, sometimes it gives shutdown.

By the way, these shutdowns, when they occur, are instant, no disk work, no question whether to close a file, just instant shutdown and silence.

I think it unlikely to be hdd problems as it occurs with tiger on two different hdds.

I've tried two pram batteries and the date & time are being reserved over several days.

I've also tried starting without pram battery and, apart from being told the date is wrong, the sleeps still shutdown.

I'll do a complete system re-install (the two systems are identical, one being a clone of the main hdd) - this is about the last resort.

Regards

Ged