On Feb 7, 2012, at 6:28 AM, Rehan Saleem wrote:

> Hi nate ,
> thanks for reply , actually i want to know how can i add  my own tool in
> galaxy , how can i show the output of my postgreSQL function in galaxy just
> asume my postgresql database is connected to galaxy . i need the python and
> xml code for that .
> thanks

Hi Rehan,

Your database shouldn't be connected to Galaxy, it should be connected to your
tool, and then your tool will write the results as the tool's output, which
will then be available in Galaxy.  The documentation on how to write the tool
config XML is in the wiki at:

    http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Tools/Add%20Tool%20Tutorial
    http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Tools/Tool%20Config%20Syntax

I'd suggest using one of the existing tool config files in Galaxy as a
reference.  As for the script which queries the database, that would be a new
tool to write.  Two of our tools use sqlite, which may be useful as a reference
when writing your tool:

    tools/next_gen_conversion/solid2fastq.py
    tools/taxonomy/find_diag_hits.py

You are not limited to using Python to write the tool, however, it can be any
language which you can run on the command line.

--nate