On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Dave Bouvier <d...@bx.psu.edu> wrote:
>>> Peter,
>>>
>>> I did some investigating, and it turns out that the if [[ condition ]]
>>> syntax used in the ncbi tool dependency is only compatible with bash, not
>>> sh.
>>
>> Does that mean the test system has switched between sh and bash
>> and back to sh again?
>
> Is there anything written down about the expected shell(s)
> available for a standard Galaxy instance?

I don't think it is documented anywhere and there has been some
disagreement on this in the past. I think we should do our best to
reach some sort of conclusion on this and document it in the following
card:

https://trello.com/c/7VTlX9rD

My own preference is that we specify at least /bin/sh and /bin/bash
are available before utilizing the tool shed. Is there an objection to
this from any corner? Is there realistically a system that Galaxy
should support that will not have /bin/bash available? I know there is
some difference in bash behavior between platforms, but that is
hopefully minimal and we can address inconsistencies one at a time.

Thanks,
-John