*I had been composing this e-mail for a while so it is a lot awkward
given this mornings responses, but felt it best to just get it out
there rather than continue to bake the ideas :)*

If I were not employed by Penn State, I would say you guys should be
using galaxy-extras - these problems are all solved by multiple file
datasets :), but since I am I am not going to mention that.

I agree with Peter, the "tag" idea is probably a better way to get
around this and probably represents an improvement on HIDs. There are
a lot of open tickets related to things like this so I have picked one
at random and sketched out what I think the path forward should maybe
be.

https://trello.com/c/dQA7Y5vS

As mentioned by James, the problem with Peter's first attached patch
is that after several iterations the name gets bigger and bigger. The
tags patch put together or at least linked to by Bjoern does limits
should limit the size of output names over a workflow right? The down
side is that it is not used by default - tool authors have use it.

So, my vote would be to combine the approaches. Specify this new
labeling attribute (I would call it on_name_tag_string instead of
on_tag_string because tags have other meanings in Galaxy), then
provide a Galaxy configuration option that would use this instead of
on_string by default for all tools (or maybe just replace on_string
with on_name_tag_string) so that tools that explicitly use on_string
would pick up the enhancements as well. Galaxy Main wouldn't have to
change its default, but institutions who deem the name tag more
important could.

-John