Erg... I am pretty ignorant about mercurial so I should probably not
respond to this but I will try. It is pretty common practice for the
Galaxy team to push bug fixes to the last release to the stable branch
of galaxy-central - which is very different than the default branch of
galaxy-central which contains active development. These don't go out
to galaxy-dist automatically to prevent the need to strip truly
egregious stuff out of the stable branch that the galaxy-dev news says
to target.

A quirk of this however is that the stable branch of galaxy-central is
actually a good deal more stable the stable branch of galaxy-dist. It
is what usegalaxy.org targets and at least a few other high profile
Galaxy maintainers have caught on to this trick as well.

I think you can update (or merge) the latest stable branch by doing
something like the following:

hg pull https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central#stable
hg update stable

We should probably do a better job of keeping the stable branch of
galaxy-dist up-to-date - but right now we just push out updates at
releases and for major security issues as far as I know.

-John