Neil,
It would help if you could point to an existing tool that works the way you
want. I don't know of any that deal with arbitrary nested directories
containing arbitrary files. A new composite datatype could impose a
structure that a tool could be written to deal with (eg the pbed datatype
used in some rgenetics tools) but arbitrary data structures are not going
to be possible AFAIK. You're unlikely to get useful help without a much
more complete and clear explanation of the problem.