Hi Allan,
Interesting you braught up Archon. I've been thinking for a while of
making a chess-like game someday only using monsters and knights similar
to Archon rather than your normal pieces.
I still like Chess and I have a couple of sets here at home. One that
would be really cool to have is the Chess board from Star Trek with the
three levels.
They actually have produced a real Chess set for Star Trek collecters
with a rule book for 3D chess and while very similar to normal chess
pieces can move up and down on the board.