Hi tom,
I am pretty sure we are talking about the same game concerning feudal. What
was neat about that game also was that the board was actually four square
boards that could be arranged in various combinations to make diffrent
terrain for each game. I loved that game.
I never heard of battlemasters however, although it sounds similiar to
another game I had once owned which also utilized cards for movement and
attacking.
It was a game that involved the attack of the clones movie, and it featured
characters such as yoda, darth vader, luke obi wan etc and so forth. In
addition, it had other characters like  chewbacca, han solo, and all of the
key players in the phantom menance, and attack of the clones movies.
What would happen is that each person would grab a magor character, and also
the tag along minor characters that came with that magor character, like
darth vader had those red guardians, and mace windu had clone troopers.
Then the players would take the corresponding cards that matched thier
character selections. Each person would start with several cards and would
use them to move, attack, and use various force powers. Everything had a hit
point chart and played surprisingly smoothly. I think each person could play
two cards per turn and then grab more after they were done, something like
that. In any case, either game could work as a audio game.
I find my greatest problem with board games like checkers and chess is
spatial orientation. I can't get the hang of looking at a graph audibly and
getting a feel for where the pieces are and what my potential moves should
be.

Father, forgive them, For they know not what they do
Jesus of Nazareth  33 AD