From: Thomas Ward <thomasward1...@gmail.com
To: Gamers Discussion list <gamers@audyssey.org
Date sent: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 08:13:57 -0400
Subject: [Audyssey] A Question About the Best user Interface

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question I thought I'd throw out here to the community
to see what you thought about this. As many of you know for a while
now I have been developing a WWE wrestling game in Python, that is
largely text based, but one problem is not all the performers can fit
on the same screen when selecting the challenger or the opponent for
the match. As the database of male and female performers grows this
problem will only get worse. Now, there are two ways of handling this
issue.

The way a sighted developer would handle this is they would table all
the options on the screen into columns and rows rather than put them
in a vertical list like this.

Select the challenger.

1. Steve Austin 2. Daniel Bryan 3. John Cena 4. Christian
5. Ted DiBiase Jr. 6. Edge 7. Mark Henry 8. Kane

Now, obviously the advantage of doing it this way is I could
conceivably squeeze a huge database of performers onto a single screen
simply by placing them into a table instead of a vertical list. I
should be able to place somewhere between 50 and 60 performers onto a
single screen. My concern though is that it will take more work
reviewing the screen to find the option for the performer you want to
play as you'd basically have to examine the entire table to find out
that a certain performer is number 36 out of 50 possibilities.

The alternative is I could create a vertical list of performers, but
split it up over several screens. That means if a database of
challengers had 60 performers you would get the first 20, press enter,
see the next 20, press enter again, and get the last 20 performers. In
some aspect sits more accessible, but I don't like it because I'd
rather see as many performers as possible on the same screen.

So any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas?

Thanks.