I have a good suggestion. I know it's good because I've used it a lot.
Don't overcomplicate things. The more you add, the more you'll want to add.
Having various skills as buyables, having various weapons and shields
and armor and such as another type of buyable, all that sounds not
only feasible but relatively easier to code. If you end up working out
how fight differs from fight, how opponent differs from opponent, then
you'll have to create a rather larger interface than maybe you
intended.

On 11/24/13, dark <d...@xgam.org> wrote:
> Hi Tom.
>
> I agree on your skills ideas and varieties of upgrades,  whether warriors or
>
> robots, but I was also thinking in terms of what was actually happening in!
>
> battle, so that when fighting the player actually had different options to
> choose than just hitting the attack button over again.
>
> So just to take a simple example, rather than just role dice with all
> correct weaponry skills and do damage accordingly, have a number of
> defensive styles to choose before using each attack which can be used a
> limited number of times in the fight. Lets say for example, you see your
> opponent is using a dodge defense. well your obviously going to want a wide
>
> slash to be more likely to hit, so you might choose to hack with your
> sword.
>
> On the other hand, if your fighting someone with a sword and shield who
> chooses to block with their shield, well hacking away won't do much good so
>
> you might decide to try striking at their legs and putting them offbalance,
>
> so you'd choose an unbalancing attack which would make your next attack
> stronger.
>
> thinking of a fighting game this way, asmore of a card game where you choose
>
> to play different cards from your hand according to your oponent's stratogy
>
> rather than a dice  game of  who can roll the highest would make for a much
>
> more intereactive game, and   also something where the randomness of the
> opponents you fight makes a major difference.
>
> of course this is just a suggestion and there are doubltess other possible
> systems, but I will confess it is one of the things that  irritates me in so
>
> many  rpg games, whether browser based, old text based ones or even simple
> battle affairs like Hack or tournament from bpc that basically  all the
> stratogy  comes from  what  stuff you buy or train with experience, and none
>
> is  applied in the actual fight itself. After all in a real! fight,  it's
> far more likely to be the person with the better stratogy, experience and
> instincts who wins, not just the one with the best equipment or the biggest
>
> muscles for all both are important.
>
> all the best,
>
> Dark.

Signed: