It's actually more complicated even than that.  The notion of recreating in
an audio medium games that are primarily visual is a tempting chimera that
has, I feel, been one force behind the relative stagnation of the audio
games world.  The reasons for this make a lot of sense; people who grew up
playing conventional video games are often more passionate than folk who
never had that experience, which being so, makes the idea of recreating
those games from the past seem more compelling than our actual experience
shows that it is.

In the following discussion, I'm intentionally ignoring the problems of
expense and size of development shops we've typically seen, as well as
markets.  These factors are relevant to the general problem of game
development, but not to the discussion I'm having below.  Yes, I know about
them and understand their effects on what we've seen, but they obscure what
is for me a more basic problem.

Before I wander off on what is to me a more interesting tangent, let me just
suggest that Castaways is probably a better or at least more comparable game
than Revelation for Mine Craft.  Revelation is more like the mobile game
Alchemy.

So why do I call the recreation of visual games in an audio form a chimera?
Because we haven't yet cracked the problem of how to convey visual
information in an audio context.  Consider the following:
When a sighted person processes visual information, they are processing
shape, relative size, lighting, color, motion, perspective, relative
position and many other data over a time scale that is on the order of
tenths to hundreds of a second.  All this processing is parallel, through
many different information channels if you will.  Any of these data may be
relevant to figuring out a situation, route planning, tactics choice or
strategic considerations.

Now compare this with sound.  First of all, sound processing is slower
physiologically, allowing for less parallelism in how our brains deal with
sound sources.  Localization is less precise than a visual person gets from
locating an object with her eyes.  The problem of determining distance to
objects is more complex; there are more visual cues to distinguish large
objects far away vs. small objects close at hand.  There is no audio
equivalent of horizon, perspective or shading that provide the visual clues
to perform this simple but necessary task.

There are some analogs, pitch could be used to convey color fairly directly
as, at least for simple primary hues, frequency could correlate directly and
one could use volume to correlate with either saturation or brightness.
(Saturation refers to the color's intensity, brightness measures how much
light is reflected or produced for an energy input.)  But how do you convey
the color teal, which is a very particular hue, a mixture of blue and green?
I suppose you could mix wave lengths from the "green" and "blue" part of the
spectra, but the result would be a pitchless (though not white) noise that
might be very difficult to distinguish from say the burnt orange hue that
would be mixing a lot of yellow with a bit of red and darkening the
brightness and lowering the saturation value.

And all this assumes you have a meaningful concept of color to work with.  I
have had sufficient vision in the past to be able to visualize these colors.
Does this discussion hold any meaning for someone who never saw them?  (an
honest question; I do not have that experience, so can't comment from my own
life.)

As a very simple example; I have spent the last year trying to wrap my brain
around the idea of how best to convey in an audio format the information
available to a sighted player of Angband, Moria, Nethack or any other
roguelike in a meaningful way.  I worked for a short while with one of the
actual variant developers for these games, trying to design a system that
would convey the information about position, relative positions of enemies,
walls and floor features such as traps.  Note that this doesn't even begin
to touch the complexity available to a sighted game developer for a Call of
Duty sort of game.

I still haven't found a way to convey even this much reduced information
load to a player in a way that doesn't take impractical amounts of time to
play a game of any meaningful length.  This doesn't mean it can't be done.
It doesn't even mean that I won't solve this problem at some point.  What it
does mean is that I, a pretty smart cookie and good at algorithm
development, as well as a pen-and-paper game designer who has created quite
playable original designs and hacks of pre-existing work, have not yet
solved this problem, indicating that it's not a trivial problem to solve.

The solution probably involves information compression; first of all
figuring out what information is actually necessary to the experience of
playing a rogue-like; whether the physical exploration aspect that we saw in
Entombed is actually important enough to justify its cost in information
complexity, as opposed to the combat scenes that were the heart of that
game.  I haven't found a solution I would enjoy playing yet.

Let's look at Swamp for another take on solving these problems, as well as
showing the inherent limitations thereof.  Aprone provided what was for us a
big step forward in immersive gaming by freeing us from the keyboard for
basic navigation/aiming tasks, and by making a real-time, multi-player
experience that gave the illusion of simultaneous experience by multiple
players of the same reality, that is until you looked a little closer
beneath the gosh-wow factor.  (And by the way, in the following, I'm sure
that Aprone will realize that I'm not complaining; he has certainly read my
praise often enough to know that I think he did something wonderful.)  It
was and is wonderful, especially compared to what had been available before
that, but let's honestly compare it to the experience a sighted player has
in a multi-player FPS.  The sighted player would have richly detailed
landscapes, where terrain has much more effect than the small effects on
stealth that Swamp appears to provide.  You would have line of sight effects
that would be far more precise than Jeremy's use of sound processing to give
the illusion of obscuration by terrain features.  You'd have of course the
detailed and likely rather graphic FX of the combat itself.  The game would
also move rather faster.

These are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head.  It seems
to me that trying to directly recreate visual games in an audio format is a
path that leads nowhere.  Castaways extracts some of the core concepts of
Minecraft, or, since if I recall correctly it precedes it, Castaways deal
with some of the same issues.  One could expand on that framework to produce
a game that would play something like Minecraft; though I suspect that
Aprone or another developer would have to start over, retaining only some of
the concept, to accommodate a larger world and more direct MP interaction.
Ambitious audio developers need to be focusing on creating tools that can
enhance the audio experience, such as real-time signal processing to allow
for more flexibility in the audio stream.  We're approaching the time when
we'll have sufficient computing power available to the general consumer to
make this more possible than it would have been even five years ago.  This
would make audio gaming more immersive and give developers ways of
manipulating the audio environment that would more closely approach the
tools available to the visual developer.

We also need to see some theoretical work done on how one might more closely
approximate the inputs available to a visual perceiver using audio cues.
This might involve moving away from representational sounds to more of a
braille code approach; creating earcons to represent popular or common
visual phenomena.

Finally, it is perhaps time to reduce our dependence upon the trappings of
the visual world in game conceptualization and development.  If someone
created a fighting game, where the main character is a highly trained, but
blind kung fu master, than the use of audio design could be made to directly
serve the game's story, rather than being an approximation of a story that
would under normal circumstances be represented visually.  This could
provide the sort of immersive experience to all players, blind, impaired or
fully sighted that has been absent from our market.  All of a sudden, the
reduction in the amount of information available becomes a feature that one
has to learn to live with rather than an unfortunate side effect of
physiology and culture.

Chris Bartlett