Good response, exactly the sort of push back I wanted to get from my strong
premise.

I wasn't aware of Chee's premise; interesting and it makes sense given the
nature of the game.

I would agree with you that we should be seeking the actual heart of a given
genre of games rather than seeking to specifically copy a particular game's
features.  But there is a large and vocal subset of our community that
remembers playing video games and/or has found work-arounds to play these
games without vision who advocate the creation of audio translations of
these experiences, rather than seeking to extract the central part of
playing those games, i.e. forcing the player to make particular choices at a
particular time scale that have effects on the game world.  There have been
times when I would have thought, based on the list and other for a that we
wanted our developers to recreate Call of Duty, rather than finding the
choices and time scale at the heart of that game and creating something that
preserves those factors while working with the UI limitations that we have.
I wanted to point out the limitations of that view.

It's true that we've seen some beginnings along these lines.  Aprone has put
forward games that represent experimental forays into the FPS and resource
allocation sort of games with Swamp and Castaways.  Time of Conflict is also
headed this direction to some extent and provides some neat concepts for
managing massive amounts of information that make larger military
simulations possible.  We have the beginnings of good vehicle combat games
in GMA Tank Commander, Lone Wolf and I suppose 3D Velocity, though that one
never caught my interest, even though I have actually flown aircraft and
would love a good pilot sim.  I'd like to see efforts of this sort continue,
with an emphasis on solving the problems of conveying the experience
abstraction rather than fussing over details of making this or that game
conform more to a mainstream paradigm.  For the reasons I discussed, I do
think that seeking to replicate the visual detail in an audio form has
limitations imposed by physiology.  Now, I think it entirely possible that
one could create an artificial audio environment that translated visual cues
into some kind of audio symbology that, given sufficient training, one could
learn to use in ways much more akin to vision than normal representational
hearing, and perhaps that's a path to follow in game development, as well as
orientation, mobility or other tasks currently closed to those with
nonfunctional vision.  I certainly don't have the cognitive science,
hardware engineering or marketing chops to bring such devices or systems to
a marketable product, but I'd surely love to be in on designing a sound
scheme and experimenting to see how far one could take it.

But I digress, as I suspect that most people wouldn't be willing to spend
tens or hundreds of hours rewiring their brains to process audio in a more
visual fashion, especially for a game.

I'm hoping some game devs will chime in here.

Chris Bartlett