Exactly Dark. We'd be unlikely to get away with making a straight Metroid title in audio, which was why a few years back I was and amd still am toying with the idea of a game in the style of Metroid but with an original story and character. The trouble might be in finding someone familiar enoug with the atmospheric music of the Metroid series who could compose a score with a similar feel.

They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!
-----Original Message----- From: dark
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 6:27 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] The red herring of visual game recreation,was: MindCraft for the blind.

Hi charlse.

As you imagine I do agree just because a game is old doesn't mean it can't
be fun, and accessible computer games have introduced me to several games
I'd not played before which have been around for a long time such as
backgammon, eucre or spades toname a few.

The issue for me however is that many computer games aren't as elemental as
say backgammon, and  don't require their names and concepts to work, or even
the level design.

For example, lets say I made an audio game about someone hunting aliens on a
mazelike alien planet, collecting different weapons which gave them access
to different parts of the game. I wouldn't have! to call it metroid, or use
Samus, ridly or other metroid characters. yes, I freely agree that having
audio gamers  introduced to the world of metroid would be awsome and I'd
support any project, but given that nintendo would stamp on such a remake
(they have with even indi games in the past), I don't really see the need at
this point, particularly since it would be possible to take the gameplay
elements that made metroid special and do them with different characters.

In one sense this could also be to audio games advantage, since if not using
traditional weapons for metroid, it would be possible to use weaponry and
concepts that took advantage of audio medium.

For instance, lets say you could find an item which would create a different
stepping sound when you encountered a section of floor which you could jump
up and shoot through to get to new areas below you. metroid never had such a
device, indeed the closest thing it had, the x ray scope was pretty useless,
but an audio game set in a similar space environment could use the audio
information there to create some different puzzles and require the player to
do things like make sure she/he steps on every ledge in the room and walks
across to check there isn't a secret passage there.

that would be absolutely true to the style of metroid, where hunting
carefully for secrets made a huage part of the game, but would employ sound
to do so in a unique way.

As I said I'm certainly not against audio remakes, but I would love to see
an audio game developer use game concepts and think up their own setting,
similarly to the way Draconis created dynaman by having packman in a
slightly different setting with different shaped grids and an electricity
theme, and also use the audio for things like scanning for electrons.

Indeed, Packman is a great example since we have both an audio remake in the
form of packman talks which is pretty faithful to the original (though imho
more fun in first person), and an enhanced game with similar concepts but
different gameplay and basic characters.

Beware the grue!