Hi Dark,

Agreed. There has to be some basis, some universal criteria, in which
a good game is based upon otherwise everyone's opinion right, wrong,
and otherwise is equally valid. We know that not to be true because
some games do very well and others don't. therefore it would be
helpful to study what features, what designs, have traditionally made
a game successful otherwise games will not improve, not get better,
and will only be no better or worse than the developer's personal
opinion of the game. Eventually games would just stagnate, never
evolve, because one person's opinion is as good as the next.

However, we know one opinion is not as good as the next. Having more
than one opinion of what makes a game good is what causes innovation,
creativity, and eventually competition. We need look no further than
our own audio games community to see that in action.

Back in the late 90's and early 2000's there were a number of audio
game developers who were creating games based on Space Invaders. All
were slightly different and unique. We had ESP's Alien Outback, BSC's
Troopanum, PB Games' Dark Destroyer, and so on. What's so interesting
about those games is how they are all different, and that in various
ways ESP and BSC did a lot to innovate and add features to their games
that made them unique such as the robot landers in Alien Outback or
the moon rocks in Troopanum 2. Each had an idea they thought was a
good idea, and those ideas set them apart from one another.

Likewise my game Mysteries of the Ancients is fairly different from
say Q9 and Super Liam. The big difference is I wanted to base the game
more on a true 2d platformer similar to what was available for the NES
and Super NES and incorporates a lot of 2d movement such as climbing
ropes, ladders, jumping off of high ledges, and so forth. Back when
the game was in public testing it was well received by the audio games
community probably because I was not simply satisfied with the
simplistic 1d format used by other accessible side-scrollers.
Therefore having a full 2d game world turned out to be a good game
design.

Point being, one idea is not as good as another and there are likely
some universal concepts that make a game good or better than another
game of a similar type. Certainly specific characteristics will very
from person to person, but there is some basis from which they base
their opinions on that is  the key to a successful game. Its up to a
developer to figure out what people base their opinions of a good game
on in order to make better games.

Cheers!