Hi Paul,

You raise some valid points. If a child is old enough to be
unsupervised on the internet then they are probably old enough to
decide for themselves weather or not to download a certain game or
view certain content. In such a case the best a site owner or game
developer can do is make appropriate warnings as to the content being
viewed.

For example, most pornography sites have a page that pops up every
time the site is accessed letting the user know that the site contains
sexually explicit  content and the person entering must be at least
18. If they click the I agree button and enter the site knowing what
content is about to be viewed the legal responsibility becomes that of
the person doing the browsing not the site owner or owners.

With games there is usually a similar warning in place. In adult
interactive fiction, for example, it always comes up with a disclaimer
that prompts the user to enter yes or no if they agree to the terms.
After the user types yes and agrees to the terms of service it becomes
his or her own responsibility what to do with the content.

I think a similar warning system could be implemented in games like
Psycho Strike that serves the same purpose. When the game is first
launched it will let the user know this is an extremely violent game,
is not suitable for people under 16, and have them agree to the terms
of service. After that there is really little anyone can do to make
sure that someone who is age appropriate plays the game.

Cheers!