Hi Darren,
I was experimenting with the possibility of doing a full 3D environment
for my Star Wars game similar to the Star Wars FPS games, but found out
early on it is not only more difficult to code, but just as equally
difficult to play. Not impossible, but would have a difficult learning
curve.
For example, if a storm trooper is on the catwalk above you you'd have
to push the page up to have the character look up, and then throw the
detonator up at the trooper, or aim your rifle up at the trooper and fire.
Other aspects of those games have tricky puzzle elements as well. For
example you might want to get into the ships bridge. You can't get
through the door so you have to climb up a pipe to a grate, cut it open,
crawl through a duct, cut a hole in the floor, and force jump through
right onto the Imperial officers, and light saber them into chip chopped
ham.
I would love to do this in a game, but it is very difficult to transfer
to the end gamer by sound alone how to solve a puzzle like that.