It's been a while but I believe I'll step into the dirt this time around.
I'm certainly guilty of mp3 piracy in the past. I used to hate buying an
album and then discovering that out of thirteen or sixteen songs, there was
maybe four or five that I actually enjoyed if I was very lucky. I used to
deeply resent that. I found it all too easy to rationalise grabbing a song
here or there that I actually wanted. With software, there's too much of a
stretch for me to ever make that kind of compromise with morality. If I
enjoy using a program, I'll either enjoy it enough to buy it or simply do
without it. It's that cut and dried. You're purchasing one thing that
presumeably does what you want or need it to do. There's no slippery slope
there. It's just a moral cliff to either jump off or not. Personally, I much
prefer the higher ground. If, for some reason, I need technical support or a
replacement key, I know I'm entitled to good customer care.

On the music front, I've finally had the good luck to have found:

www.mp3fiesta.com

It sells mp3s very cheaply so that buying an album is something like two
dollars US and individual tracks are around ten cents. Downloading the mp3s
is as easy as downloading a regular file and I don't have to worry about
them only working on one machine or anything like that. It's about as
reasonable as humanly possible and I know I'm supporting the artists.

Any way you slice it, piracy is wrong. I'm not certain there's all that much
to understand about why people do it. On the face of it, piracy doesn't seem
wrong because no physical goods are being taken. I think we're all still
catching up to the new digital world we live in. We have a hard time seeing
the physical consequences of the act and that has allowed piracy to become
as pervasive as it has particularly with music. In the accessible games
industry, we'll feel the effects of piracy far more keenly as developers
either go out of business or make their security more restrictive to the
point where it starts to deny legitimate customers the ownership rights they
ought to have. That process has already started with these activation keys
which tie a game to a certain machine. I just had to get another code for
Pipe2 so I could have it on my new desktop. If and when I'm able to get the
funds to upgrade Jaws and go to a Vista machine, I'll have to do that all
over again. If people keep passing around keys and cracks, I just hope
developers keep their legal customers foremost.

Michael Feir
Creator and former editor of Audyssey Magazine
1996-2004
Check out my blog at:
www.blindspots.net