Hi Darren,
Well, probably nothing quite that complex. Though, I have been working
on the ability to rebuild your ships after they have been destroyed. Of
course, that means if the enemy fleet is destroyed and you haven't
destroyed their ship yards they can rebuild their fleet. So you need to
destroy all their ships, starbases, and ship yards  to win STFC 2.Same
goes for the Federation. If the Federation has a ship yard active you
can slowly rebuild your fleet to full strength.
Another feature in STFC 2 you will like is the ability to create new
photon torpedoes. If you deplete the starbase it will begin producing
new photons for your fleet so you should never totally run out of
photons in the game. However, starbases can only have a maximum of 600
photons at any given time. By the way, that technical fact is straight
out of the technical manuals.
As a result of the new ship yard feature the Borg ships are a lot
tougher. if they destroy your fleet you better hope you can get a fleet
rebuilt fast enough to throw at them. Grin.