Hi,
In my personal experience the, "its not worth paying for attitude," is
just a cover for, "I don't want to spend money for something I can steel
for free." I was once in that croud of crackers during my high
school/college days, and it took me a while to realise what I was doing
and why I was doing it. Once I saw it for what it was I changed my mind
about the entire cracking point of view.
as Munawar pointed out crackers only see the side of the coin that they
have to pay for something. they have no appreciation and don't care
about how much money it takes to make said product, how much time spent
on making said product, and have some idea everything should be handed
to them for free on a silver platter. it isn't until those people get
out of high school, college, whatever and enter the work force as
programmers, businessmen, etc and have to worry about crackers steeling
all of their hard work, time, and money. they are forced to see the
other side of the coin, and it isn't very amusing any more.
Actually, it is interesting to note some of the best security experts
who write firewalls, antivirus programs, and work in other computer
security fields are themselves former blackhat crackers with a long
criminal history. The reason is that in their younger mor foolish days
they see cracking and steeling as fun. When they get older they grow up
a little and see all the damage, grief, and misery they and their
buddies caused. They then get high paying jobs as security experts who
try and secure products and networks from the new generation of crackers
who are the spitting image of who they once were. Until you have seen
both sides of the coin you don't know much about reality yet.