Hi,
I am surprised in your country why your people haven't just switched to
a free OS alternative like Linux. I mean there are generally all the
same kinds of applications for Linux as there for Windows for a fraction
of the cost. Want a Microsoft Office equal try Open Office, want a
Outlook equal try Evolution, want a better product than Internet
Explorer try Firefox 3, etc. I won't say accessibility is an exact one
to one comparison to Windows, Linux access still needs to improve, but
reasonable access is here. If it comes down to paying $300 for a Jaws
SMA or downloading Orca 2.18 for free I will go Orca.
The nice thing about some of these alternative operating systems like
Linux is that it is affordable for anyone who has a computer. Even poor
countries, that can not afford Windows, can download and run Linux
software for almost no investment up front. If you want commercial
software like Eloquence or Dectalk for Linux you have to pay for that,
but TTS engines like festival and ESpeak are absolutely free.
I have actually tried Orca's French and Spanish language settings with
ESpeak and it has very good foreign language support. I would say it is
prime software for a non-English speaker, but I don't care that much for
the voice itself. I use Dectalk with Orca as I am a big Dectalk fan. <Grin>