Hi Jim,
yeah, I remember that now that you mention it. I would imagine the
reason the balls had that weird shape is do to the fact digitally
creating squares and rectangles are infinitely easier than making
rounded objects like balls, ovals, and other objects with a more rounded
appearance.
I'm no expert on digital graphics technology by any means, but I have
now and then glanced at the chapters in my game programming books on
creating 2D and 3D graphics and it is truly interesting stuff. Even
though I am college educated, took geometry, trig, and all that good
stuff that stuff was a bit more mathematically challenging than I cared
to get into at the time. Grin.