its the card yohandy.
I have the same issue in xp.
and its still a laptop card.
if you need some sort of recording thing, I don't know.
they do cost a load of cash the externals.
I have heard the audygy s2zzs is good although the microphone amp is not that
clean.
Myself I have this box but I also have an older laptop that uses an old
soundmax which has the functionality you describe.
If you have a del laptop you can buy the feature for having the microphone and
stereo mix for 90 I think.